ECF is an extensive system that integrates the efforts of claims adjusting, legal representation, bill processing, claims initiation, call center, and other activities and personnel. I was responsible for determining how to tackle the redesign from a user-experience perspective.
Managing claims is incredibly complex and although the business team is highly skilled in these complexities, they were not prepared for the complexities of a software redesign project, especially one of this magnitude.
User Interviews & Profiling
Met with users across California and established a succinct outline of users and tasks. From the insight I gained of user interactions, I identified numerous opportunities for improvement both in task flow and product design. I summarized my findings and shared user stories across the business to help promote new interaction models. Sharing these stories sparked excitement and renewed support for the project throughout the organization.
Analysis, Modeling & Design
Evaluated business processes and workflows both in and outside the product, then used user interaction insights to map primary flows and suggest improvements for the new system. I reworked poor interaction models, made use of the new platform (Java from Oracle Forms) to improve flow and design. Also created task flow proposals, data models, visual designs and a click-through prototype to test and refine new designs.
- Consolidated multiple task queues into one, eliminating the need to navigate to multiple queues throughout the day
- Presented a way to quickly differentiate primary tasks from less important ones and filter the task queue for more targeted work
- Greatly simplified the navigation model and eliminated visual clutter due to unnecessary information and options
- Eliminated window-on-window model, reducing confusion while maintaining the ability to compare data across multiple screens
- Designed a method of integrating a legacy payment processing system and streamlining associated task flows
- Significantly reduced steps in primary workflow (from 48 to 17 clicks)
- Created new timeline view for claim activity, including a filtering system, particularly useful for locating information on a claim
- Greatly enhanced ease-of-use and visual appeal so appropriate information takes center stage and the product is more pleasurable to use